Once you start becoming a regular at your local gym, it’s awesome. You feel and look better and it slots right into your routine. However there are also a few things we can observe once we start going frequently, like the characters. They are at every gym but there’s also individual characters to every gym. We love ’em. They make gym life more interesting.
Here are a few of the characters I’ve noticed at my local:
- The one that’s ALWAYS there, no matter what time or day of the week you go. Do you live here? However, maybe they think that about YOU!
- The one who never cleans their equipment, even after they’ve sweated like buggery all over it. Give it a wipe down!
- The one who, after assessing all the treadmills, decides to get on the one RIGHT next to you even though all the others are free. Cheers. Personal space invader.
- The one who is always completely naked in the change rooms swanning around and slathering lotion on after a shower. More power to you and everything but just chill. Some of us don’t want to be confronted when we’re just trying to wash our face or go to the bathroom.
- The highschoolers trying to do weights with no training and giggling as the weights HIT THE FLOOR. Ladies! You will hurt yourselves! Start with LIGHT weights or ask a trainer at the gym to help you! Or if you are shy, look up form on youtube or on articles online. Don’t try it if you don’t know how to do it, muscle problems can flare up for life if you injure it bad enough.
- The one who didn’t wash her hands after going to the bathroom. I don’t even have to say why this is disgusting. Wash your damn hands! Especially in public places!
- The one who plays music out loud. HEADPHONES EXIST.
- The ones (usually older people) who have no idea how to dress for a workout. Chuck the button down shirts and tailored trousers OUT and pop on your tracksuit pants! This is not the time to be wearing boat shoes!
- The one who knows all the moves at Zumba, he’s been to every damn class, bitch, he’s wearing an ‘I love Zumba’ t-shirt AND trackpants and he’s going to go through all the movements before the class just to really show how much better co-ordinated he is than you.
- The one old guy who thinks he’s got all the moves. Please. That girl is just talking to you so you’ll go away.
- The ones who CHAT SO LOUD next to you while you are TRYING to get in the zone. They must be stopped! No one cares if Becky dyed her hair a horrible colour Sharon I’m trying to hit personal bests here!
- The one who looks a little unsure about being there, he walks around, touches a weight, walks for 1 minute on the treadmill and leaves. Can be a bit of a starer. If you’re unsure about what to do at the gym make a plan beforehand or talk to gym staff! They are there to help!
- The one who wears the same clothes every time, dude do you have an entire closet of the same top and shorts? Easy to identify as, well, he’s always wearing the exact same thing.
What are some of the colourful characters you’ve observed at your gym or exercise group? Do any of them fit into the stereotypes I’ve outlined above? It’s funny because while I am saying this, people may definitely have stereotypes about me that I fit into as well. It’s all a bit of fun and as long as you’re enjoying your experience at the gym, that’s the main thing (please wipe your machines, wash your hands and wear headphones though).